Sr. Linux Nagios Engineer
Location: Austin, TX
Duration: 6 months
Sr. Linux/ Nagios XI Engineer who has experience in implementing and customizing Nagios in an enterprise application environment. The engineer will be responsible for monitoring roadside equipment - cameras, laser scanners and AVI readers to see if they are functioning properly.
The Senior Linux/Nagios Engineer is responsible for designing, configuring, maintaining, troubleshooting, and analyzing problems associated the Nagios environment and integration with other asset management applications.
• Design and implementation of Nagios in a multi-datacenter environment (Core, XI)
• Evaluate and audit monitoring/Alert and automation gaps
• Integrating Nagios with other monitoring/alert solutions
• Developing best practices for different monitoring scenarios
• Document and build step-by-step process of implementing alerts and their actionable items
• Help develop playbooks (to take actions when thresholds reached)
• Network Monitoring experience is required
• Unix/Linux System Administartion experience is a must.
• Ability to participate with the fault management platform work; from strategic directions, technical installations and set ups, work with devices and servers to send critical alarms via, SNMP, other agents, logs, probes and taps to the fault management server
• Partner with the roadside equipment team to ensure they have the information required to support the alarms sent from our systems to theirs.
• Ability to learn new technology and take ownership in updating the changes to configuration.
• 3+ years as a UNIX/ Linux system administrator (Red Hat Linux)
• 3+ years with Nagios design, configuration and implementation
• SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) experience with Nagios required.
• Experience with SNMP agent simulation tools.
• Experience testing SNMP traps using SNMP MIB browser tools such as iReasoning.
• Experience developing scripts that interface with network equipment using SNMP MIBs
• Knowledge of different types of status monitoring systems such as NRPE,NSCA. Log watcher and the ability to implement them.
• Expertise with SNMP traps - should be able to write and modify MIBs.
• Knowledge on video camera and survellaince camera is preferred.
• Expertise in configuring a SMNP trap ; writing scripts to capture an SNMP trap and trigger alerts/events.
• Write a process for the Network Operations Team to follow and lead other engineers in the work required to set up the fault and performance management of the video network.
• Advanced knowledge working with variety of networks and MIB browsers, ping, network, and other test tools.
• Integrate Nagios alerts to an asset mangement systems like Hardcat that is a ticketing solution