Job Description – Build and Release Engineer
Primary Job Responsibilities:
eBay delivers one of the world's largest online marketplaces to customers via any connected device, connecting people with the things they need and love. With 149 million active buyers globally, eBay is one of the world's largest online marketplaces, where practically anyone can buy and sell practically anything. Founded in 1995, eBay connects a diverse and passionate community of individual buyers and sellers, as well as small businesses. Their collective impact on ecommerce is staggering, and more than 700 million items are listed on eBay
As part of the Configuration, Build and Release team at eBay, the senior software engineer we select will be responsible for the following activities:
• Streamline, Standardize and automate Build and Release Management Processes
• Handle daily responsibilities of supporting Build and Release needs of Product teams
• Support all Testing Environments for Web and Service tiers
• Deploy code and other proactive maintenance activities to keep Testing Environments highly available and reliable.
• Debug deployment, runtime problems and provide active coordination between various groups resolving specific problems
• Collaborate and Develop tools to improve our ability to rapidly deploy and effectively monitor our large scale Testing Environments
• Champion and evangelize Release strategy and Continuous Testing, Deployments on par with the industry
• Expertise in diagnosing and fixing Build, Deployment and runtime issues related to eBay scale Web applications and Services
• Build automation to prevent problem recurrence, tedious manual tasks and improve TTD (Time to Detect) & TTR (Time to Restore)
• Keep Testing Environments highly available and reliable by taking proactive maintenance tasks
• Assist Product teams with painless deployments to Production and Testing Environments
• Work closely with Product teams to ensure best practices are shared and applications are built per operational standards and guidelines
• Build Reports and Dashboards as needed
• At least 8 years prior experience either in Software Development or Software Engineering disciplines (Release Engineering/Site Reliability Engineering/Software Configuration Management)
• Strong in Java, J2EE and/or other Web Development technologies supported by excellent debugging skills
• Strong familiarity with Enterprise level SCM systems like ClearCase, Subversion, Git/GitHub etc.
• Good working knowledge of Unix/Linux Operating Systems
• Ability to write scripts in Perl, Shell, Python as needed for automation
• Experience with Build management and CI tools (Maven, Ant, Jenkins)
• Experience with various Open Source tools available for automating Deployments, Monitoring Web Sites, building Dashboards
• BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
8 years of Software Development and/or Build and Automation experience.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent
2 – Can you describe the team culture in your department?
Customer focused, diverse
3 – What are the three must have skills you are looking for?
Programming (Java), Debugging skills, Unix and Linux, Build and Release tools
4 - What are the soft skills that you believe candidates must possess to be successful in this position?
Customer focus, communication skills both written and verbal
5 – What is your interview process?
Phone screening, personal interview (3 to 4 people in the team)