Our client is currently seeking a Unix Engineer to join their team in Columbus, OH.
Infrastructure & Platform Deployment (IPD) consolidates the distributed, storage, IP network and Data Center services required by applications and enabling infrastructure in the Data Center. IPD focuses on improving the quality of service to our clients by reducing hand-offs and driving consistency, standardization, and efficiency. IPD consolidates all logical and physical activities performed across Data Center Operations (DCO), and most of Global Network Services (GNS) and Distributed Technology Services (DTS), in the end-to-end delivery of services.
As a UNIX Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for formulating and defining specifications for complex operating systems and for modifying existing systems, using engineering releases and utilities. Experience in Deploying and Operating Linux and AIX at the SA level with a strong affinity/inclination towards automated deployment and operations experiences. You’ll handle configuration and capacity planning, systems performance analysis and optimization. In addition, you will structure and maintain the firm's software and hardware requirements and business systems architecture. Candidates will also possess strong proficiency in Python, PERL, Shell Scripting and Macro’s. Additional responsibilities will include:
• Providing problem and incident management along with chronic issue remediation plans and execution
• Ensuring all servers transferred to Operations Support adhere to all standards for production servers
• Providing day-to-day remediation of risk and compliance issues in the environment
• Supporting key technology initiatives including virtualization, data center, disaster recovery, and capacity planning
• Performing duties following all standards regarding engagement, change management, and escalations
• Escalating issues to vendors and providing root cause analysis and incident reports
• Work closely with engineering and architecture to aid in solution designs
• Ensure change management policies and procedures are followed
• Providing timely resolution to break/fix issues
Roles and Responsibilities:
Deploy and maintain UNIX (Linux and Solaris) Operating Systems in a distributed environment.
Responsible for deploying new infrastructure in support of customer projects, providing technical solutions to meet customer needs, problem resolution, performance tuning and analysis.
Provide application of software patches as well as release and version upgrades of operating systems and associated software to maintain currency and enhance reliability and supportability.
Support and maintain software (including Veritas VxVM, VxFS, VCX, NetBackup and Storage systems EMC Symmetrix and Clariion).
Handle system security, integration, analysis and architecture and network management on servers.
Perform data and file system management/administration, increasing/decreasing size, and storage performance evaluation/analysis.
Perform production readiness reviews and manage "go lives" schedules for the group.
Bachelors Degree in computer science or related
Seven years in the job offered or in the related positions of systems engineer, IT consultant or related.
Must have extensive experience with UNIX, Solaris 10, Redhat Linux, Veritas, VxVM, VxFS, VCS, NetBackup, EMC Symmetrix and Clariion storage systems.
Must have experience with SAN environments and products (including StorEdge T3, HDS and Clariion), and Veritas Products (including Volume Manager, FileSystems, NetBackup and Cluster File Systems).